Subversive Front, on behalf of the consortium behind the project “Empowering youth organizations to use Living library methodology” co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union, announces the Call for participants at Training courses for organisers of living libraries.
There will be 2 Training Courses:
1st Training Course in Dubrovnik, Croatia, 25 – 31 March 2019
2nd Training Course in Sremski Karlovci, Serbia, 21 – 27 May 2019
The Living Library is a tool that seeks to challenge prejudices and discrimination. It works just like an ordinary library: visitors can browse the catalogue for the available titles, choose the book they want to read, and borrow it for a limited period of time (30 minutes). After reading, they return the book to the library and, if they want, borrow another one. The only difference is that in the Living Library, Books are people, and reading consists of a conversation. We also have Librarians, Volunteers, Promoters, Dictionaries and Coordinator of Living library. A number of NGOs in particular working with youth, have recognised the Living Library as one of the most effective tools for challenging stereotypes, stigma, prejudices and discrimination. The main effect of this method is to contribute to the social inclusion of different marginalised groups of young people and reduce social distance of the citizens towards people from disadvantaged groups who are a subject of stigma and bias, through breaking stereotypes and prejudices.
The six-day-long Training Course will:
• Raise awareness of participants about the human rights, discrimination, prejudices, stereotypes, and social exclusion
• Train participants on how to prepare, organize and evaluate Living libraries in their local communities. During the training, participants will see all roles and be aware of all steps. After the training, they will be able to conduct Living library in their own countries. That will be a test and opportunity for 6 participants per country to use all skills and methods they got during the training.
After the Training Courses (from June 2019 until February 2020), the TC participants will have full support both from the project team and the trainers, as well as from the already existing network of Living Library friends and partners in planning, preparing, and conducting Living libraries in their local communities.
Training Course Participant’s profile:
• Trainers, youth leaders/workers, young people from Macedonia (6 participants in total, 3 per Training Course)
• Actively involved in a youth organization and having a position to bring into effect the learning provided at the Training Course
• Be in a position of multiplying the outcomes of the Training Course
• Be willing to participate actively
• Be committed to participate in the whole programme in English
• Age limit: 18-30